A blog of an amateur philosopher

Friday, December 16, 2005

Future Of The Union

This is the European Parlament, photo taken with my beloved CASIO EXILIM Z-57. It was not the first time I stood in front of this bulding, but certainly the feeling was totally different.

The last time I have been there was 7 years ago, when I was 13. Since I was a kid I've been told in school the advantages of being in the EU and really believed it. I could not say they lied to me, I just think back then there was still many people that relied on this project.

I cannot say I'm an euroskeptic, nothing more far from reality, I'm just eurodeceived. Once I got to vote for the EU Parliment election I started to wonder why (at least in Spain) the politicians that you can choose from are mainly people who has been important in their national parties but has had a great fiasco in a way or the other. It seemed to me that the european parlament was some kind of place to politically retire, not stress too much and get a good paycheck. I thought that, now I know.

Things got more clear when the war on Irak. And now with the discussion about the financial aid to new countries. Is the European Union really a "Union"? I would like to think it is. Taking into account the globalization process the world is in and having lived in the US for one year, I think a sincere union would be the only way to be able to defend our interests and the ones of other parts of the world (if the ethically correct principles of the EU are not only a fairytale). Can we talk about a united Europe when many members just feel proud of it's membership when they can get something from it? And when it comes to interest conflict they just look for themselves?In a project of this kind, all the countries have to make a sacrifice in some point in order to advance. But maybe I'm just being ideallistic.

The picture above looks good, but its just that, a picture. It seems to me that the only think they talk about inside it is if they should accept the printing and simoultaneous translation of all the things they say in a 23th language. Like people says in the states: "All show, no go" I really hope that I'm wrong and sometime we start really looking for each other. Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home