A blog of an amateur philosopher

Thursday, September 28, 2006

"Don't Think, Just Do It"

I hope Nike doesn't sue me for the second half of this quote which is actually mine but I just let it be of the public domain.

This summer was great. (period) Today I thought that even I don't have expectations of having trillions of visits in this blog, I want to still write on it. Why not? I'm getting much more philosophical with time, sometimes too much maybe, but many times I'm not, thats when I say things like "Don't Think, Just Do It".

This summer, when some of my friends visited me in Mallorca, the wonderful island where I was born and where I always come back, I took them to jump from a 14 meter (42ft) cliff. To get them to jump I told them the quote that gives name to this post.

I jumped before from there, and I know its secure to jump. But when you stay at the edge and look down, your heart beats faster and faster and your feet step backwards against your will. But I had jumped a year ago, and I knew it was alright. What do you do in these situations? I always do the same: I make one step forward in to the nothingness. Then everything goes fast and afterwards you you realize the sudden adrenalin rush that has crossed your veins.

Sometimes it might happen that not thinking too much can be a big problem, but if you think a lot of the important things (like if its sure to jump) then its better to not waste time in the burocratic procedure of standing for half an hour on the edge, letting your fear grow. And I guess that can be aplied to cliff-jumping and life in general.

Two of my friends that came to visit me, Gabriela and Asia, liked the quote, and wrote it in their MSN's. "Don't Think, Just Do it" Martin Vives. And someone asked who was Martin Vives since they could not find my name in Google. Well, I guess thats the first quote of mine which crosses frontiers. Who knows, might not be the last one.

1 Comments:

Blogger hector said...

well, your first quote has arrived to Uruguay....where it is? google it! don't think, just do it :-)

9:06 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home